East Coast Enduro Association: Simple Rules For Parents - East Coast Enduro Association

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple Rules For Parents

#1 User is offline   David Medeiros 

• Awesome!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Motorcycle Competition Inc.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

Found this on KTM talk. Thought I would share it with everyone.

It may not look like it on the track, but racing is a team sport. And for amateur racers, the home team usually means just that Mom, Dad and other family members who support their racing efforts.

That puts extra responsibility on parents, who often need to fill the roles of coach, tuner and sponsor, in addition to their normal duties.

How do you juggle those complex roles? Sports psychologist Patrick Cohn offers eight guidelines for parents of amateur racers:

1. Racing should be fun. Treat it that way. With all the money in professional sports today, it is hard for parents to understand that itís just good fun to young racers. The primary goal should be to have fun and enjoy the healthy competition.

2. Young racers compete in sports for many reasons. They enjoy the competition, like the social aspect, and enjoy the challenge of setting goals. You might have a different agenda, but you need to recognize that racing is your childís sport, not yours.

3. Focus on the process of racing, instead of results. Winning comes from working the process and enjoying the ride.

4. You are a role model for your child athlete. Your child will see how you react to a close race or questionable behavior by a competitor. Stay calm, composed and in control at the track, so your child can mimic those positive behaviors.

5. Refrain from race-day coaching. Once at the track, athletes need to trust in their training and just do it. Save the coaching for practice and focus on encouragement at the track.

6. Help your athlete detach self-esteem from achievement. Too many athletes attach self-worth to their level of performance. Help your child understand that he or she is a person first, who happens to race, instead of a racer who happens to be a person.

7. Ask your child athlete the right questions. This tells your child what you think is important in sports. If you ask, Did you win? Your child will think winning is important. If you ask, Did you have fun? he or she will assume having fun is important.

8. Pledge to follow the Parents Code of Ethics developed by the Parents Association for Youth Sports (www.NAYS.org; (800) 729-2057). PAYS provides a parental handbook and code of ethics for adults to sign before each competitive season. This is a great tool to guide parents in their interaction with young athletes.

#2 User is offline   norm harris jr 

• Group: Ridge Riders M.C.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:53 PM

Good stuff!
Adult racers should keep it fun as well.
Thanks for sharing David.

#3 User is offline   chris bohnyak jr 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"
  • Group: Ocean County Competition Riders

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

thats awesome.. gunna email that to a friend of mine who NEEDS to read that..

#4 User is offline   Ken - Long 

• Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

#7 is the best

#5 User is offline   Mike Sigety 

• Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Ken - Long @ Sep 24 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
#7 is the best

Good for adutls too!

#6 User is offline   Mike Soudas 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Engineering, Auto Painting, ECEA

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Mike Sigety @ Sep 24 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ken - Long @ Sep 24 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
#7 is the best

Good for adutls too!

Yes we all could of needed a refreshing of these comments at one time or another

#7 User is offline   Dave Nash 

• Group: Motorcycle Competition Inc.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

Nice post Medeiros!!!

I can always tell what type of post race conversation I'm going to have with somebody when they mindlessly ask (right out of the gate!!!):

Show... would you drop???

Hands down the #1 "meat head" question to ask (me personally), IF your not part of my "normal" group of riding friends!!!!

That question erks the hell out of me (and others I know) for one simple reason.

1. You really don't care what I'm about to say, all you want to know is if you beat me.

Like it really matters????

We all love winning on some level, it's just a shame when people forget the main reason why all of us participate... TO HAVE FUN and enjoy riding at what ever level we are at.

A fellow rider and I had a great conversation moments after we both pulled up to our trucks at Beehive this year. He asked me if I had a good time and if I rode well. We talked, and never once did either of us disclose "what we dropped". We ended it by talking about our kids (in some weird way we started talking about them) and shook hands and wished each other well. Very refreshing to say the least, especially since we were both in the same class...

Sorry for the rant, I just like to hear how people did on a more interesting level than:

so Blank, would you drop???

Don't bother asking me.
Please wait for my card to be hung.

Again sorry for the rant.

#8 User is offline   james jenkins 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"
  • Group: No Card No Club

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

Unless your name is Juha
There's always someone faster
If you try to keep it fun
Someday you'll be riding Master
jj

#9 User is offline   Bryan Shaffer 

• Group: No Card No Club

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Dave Nash @ Sep 24 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice post Medeiros!!!

I can always tell what type of post race conversation I'm going to have with somebody when they mindlessly ask (right out of the gate!!!):

Hands down the #1 "meat head" question to ask (me personally), IF your not part of my "normal" group of riding friends!!!!

That question erks the hell out of me (and others I know) for one simple reason.

1. You really don't care what I'm about to say, all you want to know is if you beat me.

We all love winning on some level, it's just a shame when people forget the main reason why all of us participate... TO HAVE FUN and enjoy riding at what ever level we are at.

A fellow rider and I had a great conversation moments after we both pulled up to our trucks at Beehive this year. He asked me if I had a good time and if I rode well. We talked, and never once did either of us disclose "what we dropped". We ended it by talking about our kids (in some weird way we started talking about them) and shook hands and wished each other well. Very refreshing to say the least, especially since we were both in the same class...

Sorry for the rant, I just like to hear how people did on a more interesting level than:

Don't bother asking me.

Maybe your just not approachable and that person didn't know how else to start the conversation.
Some of the best people I have met in this organization have started conversations that way.
After all, we are at a motorcycle race........... Something to think about????

#10 User is offline   Mike Soudas 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Engineering, Auto Painting, ECEA

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (Bryan Shaffer @ Sep 24 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dave Nash @ Sep 24 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice post Medeiros!!!

Don't bother asking me.

Maybe your just not approachable and that person didn't know how else to start the conversation.
Some of the best people I have met in this organization have started conversations that way.
After all, we are at a motorcycle race........... Something to think about????

not to twist this fine thread or rag on Nash ( great guy and member) but that "what ya drop" or "how did ya do?" can be an ice breaker or just conversation. Some of our young riders may ask that with pure innocence. Junior got told once that it is taboo to ask a rider until card is hung.... BS IMO especially when you hang up there with the faster guys and that chatter of who did what is the hot topic at ever gas or spectator point etc etc..

It is all just friendly racing for fun isn't it ??

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users