• You cannot reply to this topic

Handlebars Length

#1 User is offline   Justin Linkowich 

• Board Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Central Jersey Competition Rider
  • Interests:2 wheels and spark plugs

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

Just curious to see what length most guys have their bars trimmed down to. I'm running 28 inches but think they might be too short and hurtin me in the straights and whoop sections.

So what the deal?

Short bars for the advantage in tight sections but tiresome in the straightaways?

Or

Wide bars. Advantage straights/whoops, but a knuckle buster in the tight technical single track trail???

This post has been edited by Justin Linkowich: 19 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

#2 User is offline   Dale Sonnenschein 

• Board VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

justin, I run stock width bars. I like to have the handling and I run harescrambles too. I do ok in the real tight stuff with them. No doubt it would be easier with narrow bars but in a 70 or 80 mile enduro you only have a few miles of real tight stuff where narrow bars will help. Just my opinion.

#3 User is offline   Ted Marriner 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

I used to cut an inch off each end of the bars as it seemed that was as short as I could go and still have the clutch and front brake mount easily. Now I've changed and only cut 3/4 of an inch off each end. Makes the bars longer but is much more comfortable for me while riding. I was once told to get down and do some push-ups and move my hands around until they were comfortable. Then have someone measure the distance between your hands as that should be a natural starting point for your comfort on the bike. I have ridden a friends bike who uses the woods bend bars that are much more narrow and it felt like I was riding a mini bike. I couldn't control the bike well at all.

#4 User is offline   shawn hamblin 

• Board Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:43 AM

also pay attention to the bend of your guards. You can easily lose 1-3/4" of overall width from poorly formed guards. I lay a long (6') carpenters T-square across the bars and then tweak the guards to get minimal loss in width.

#5 User is offline   Chuck Reed 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Ithaca Dirt Riders

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

I have allways cut my bars down to 30 inches. I have found for me that gives me the best balance for all riding disciplines. They give me good response when doing grass sections, and fast straight aways in Hare Scrambles, and work well in tight sections when running Enduros. I do feel, that the length of the bars will differ from rider to rider, based on arm length and strength.

#6 User is offline   Michael Anderson 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Youth H/S Rider
  • Interests:Dirtbiking

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

I ride my 125 with 30 and my 150 with 30. It just feels comfortable it looks like you cut off alot but 30 works great for me

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users