East Coast Enduro Association: Any trials riders here? - East Coast Enduro Association

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any trials riders here? Help a noob out!

#1 User is offline   Devin Kellar 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ridge Riders M.C.
  • Interests:Mountain goat single track.

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:35 AM

Having always been fascinated by em, I finally recently acquired a modern trials bike thinking I'll be the next Geoff Aaron in no time! If you've ever wished you could go back in time and do something over for the first time, get one and you too can feel like you're learning to ride all over again ;) Coincidentally, the day after I got it, the new Dirt Rider came out with the story of two long time off road racers who entered their first trials competition and were also seriously humbled.

I've been working on some balance/control drills and am slowly getting there: Can stationary balance indefinitely with the bars cocked 45 degrees (bars straight, not so much). Also always drilling on the slow tight figure 8's in various terrain. Even got brazen enough to hit some 24" ledges but still feel more comfortable doing them on my 450 at this point (got to get out of 'attack mode' and learn to finesse...not easy for a goon rider).

Anyway, if anyone else is into trials they must have gone through the same learning curve and it would be great to get advice/feedback either in person or on-line. Any trialers looking for a new place to ride, the land around here is a virtual trials paradise with boulders galore and a big partially blasted/excavated construction site that's been dormant for years.
One other question: Is suspension setup as critical on a trials bike as with off road? I never see things like sag settings mentioned.

Thanks in advance,
Devin

Photobucket

#2 User is offline   Greg OBrien 

• Group: South Jersey Enduro Riders
  • Interests:Just about everything... no... really....

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:41 PM

I 'dig' trials... but I'm not 'into' it.

I would like to pick up a modern bike and start dabbling (dabbing?) within the next 2 years.

I'm just surprised nobody else has shown interest in this thread?

I really want to head back down to Hatfield-McCoy WV with a trials bike and a back pack full of fuel containers. Some of that mountain top single track would be a JOY on a trials bike... not so much on a full size KTM. B)

#3 User is offline   Devin Kellar 

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:06 AM

I really want to head back down to Hatfield-McCoy WV with a trials bike and a back pack full of fuel containers. Some of that mountain top single track would be a JOY on a trials bike... not so much on a full size KTM. B)
[/quote]

Thats what I'm talkin bout! Don't know where this is but I want to go:

Also found a lot of good general info in the forums of the UK site trialscentral.com

#4 User is offline   David Eckel 

• Group: South Jersey Enduro Riders

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

I've wanted to try out a modern trials bike for a long time. I have a bunch of five-foot logs from a couple trees I cut down that are just begging to be built into obstacles. Sigh. So many bikes, so little time-money-space-spousal goodwill.

#5 User is offline   CraigFaison 

• Board Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

I have a Scorpa SY250. I'm in about the same place as you along the learning curve, so I probably have little useful advice. There's a fairly active trials forum at advrider that might be worth a look.

Unforutnately, I'm in MD and not exactly close to you. I've been doing all of my trials riding solo so far.

#6 User is offline   brian donovan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ECEA - Club Member
  • Interests:motercycles,jeeps,skiing,mountain bikes

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

Check out MAVT.ORG that is for the mid atlantic vintage trial series. There events are in PA DEL and MD. They have both vintage and modern classes and they also have a no stop rule so you don't need to balance very long. the only down side is alot of there events are on the same Sundays as ECEA stuff. If you do all the ECEA enduro's and harescrambles you might only make 1 or 2 events a year.

#7 User is offline   Devin Kellar 

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

View Postbrian donovan, on 30 November 2010 - 04:53 PM, said:

Check out MAVT.ORG that is for the mid atlantic vintage trial series. There events are in PA DEL and MD. They have both vintage and modern classes and they also have a no stop rule so you don't need to balance very long. the only down side is alot of there events are on the same Sundays as ECEA stuff. If you do all the ECEA enduro's and harescrambles you might only make 1 or 2 events a year.

Looks like a great organization to check out...thanks for sharing! They had me at "We are not observed trials for the very best riders. We are trials for the rest of us, who still want to challenge ourselves, but with the emphasis on having fun." ;)

#8 User is offline   Rob Magara 

• Group: Motorcycle Competition Inc.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Nice vid, trail ridding with a trials bike is a lot of fun. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a trials bike for myself yet, too many toys not enough time..

I took a two day trials training course in March with Gary Laplante in Temecula CA (about an hour north of San Diego). The trails there are pretty amazing and you get to rent a trials bike and gear from him too.

Here's a link to his school, I definitely suggest checking it out, you can get full on training or just do a trail ride, he also rents dirt bikes.
http://www.motoventu...-adventure-cost

Here's a quick video of mine from that trip:

There's also the Trials Training Center that's a bit closer in TN and they have some good tips on their website
http://trialstrainin...ckages-pricing/

Here's a bicycle trials tranning playlist I put together, most of the skills are transferable to a motorcycle. It's good to learn on a bicycle because you can go out and practice in your driveway or around town.
http://www.youtube.c...026B378CF7154E2

Here's a trials playlist
http://www.youtube.c...E2086467ABD715F

#9 User is offline   Dana Russell 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Delaware Enduro Riders

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

Devin,

There is a Trials Club in Loch Haven/Mill Hall Pennsylavania called the Durty Dabbers. They have riders of all ages and skills I'm sure. I've seen some pretty young ones too. They also sponsor a Dual Sport 1st weekend in June.

Website is:

http://www.durtydabbers.com

#10 User is offline   Tony Recchia 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Been riding off road for 41 years, been riding trials (on a trials bike) for the past 4 years. Great cross training, improves your riding skills, super fun, any doesn't require you to load up and drive someplace to ride. They are quite, you can ride them on your lawn and get a good workout just practicing hop turns, balancing, bounce the front wheel off a tree, and figure 8s. Ride up your steps, off the rock walls, through the house.... ok, maybe now I getting carried away.

To get the most out of it though I think it is very important to purchase a quality training video (like Ryan Young's) or take a course, otherwise you'll try to ride it like we ride our woods bikes and not get the most out of it not to mention develop bad habits. once you spend some time at it, you will be riding your woods machine using those trials techniques.

A fun event to try out is coming up 5-15, a very good course and lots of interesting terrain, ranging from too easy to sick, depending on the class you sign up for.
The club has their own club house with some really neat pictures going back to the 40s. I did it in 09, it was an all around excellent experience, and it rained like hell the night before too.

TR

New England Trials Assoc.
http://www.newenglandtrials.org/

May 15th Meriden CT
Meriden Motorcycle Club
Stantack Road,
Meriden, CT

From the North: I-91 South to exit 20. Left onto Middle St. Right at Stop sign onto Country Club Rd. After 1.4 miles take right onto Stantack Rd.
From the South: I-91 North to exit 20. Left onto Country Club Rd. Straight through the stop sign, then 1.4 miles to Stantack Rd on right. Watch for arrows and sign that says "Motorcycle Event Today"

GPS Coordinates: N41 33 53.4 W72 44 54.6.

#11 User is offline   Devin Kellar 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

Tony, thanks for posting! Sent you a PM

#12 User is offline   CraigFaison 

• Board Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

View PostDevin Kellar, on 01 December 2010 - 12:37 AM, said:

View Postbrian donovan, on 30 November 2010 - 04:53 PM, said:

Looks like a great organization to check out...thanks for sharing! They had me at "We are not observed trials for the very best riders. We are trials for the rest of us, who still want to challenge ourselves, but with the emphasis on having fun." ;)

Just wanted to post a little follow-up on this post. I rode the first two MAVT events this year, and they really are a great club. The whole experience is very laid back, and the sections are challenging without being "ride to the ER" scary. :) Next one is 5/7 in White Rose, PA.

Also wanted to add that if anyone out there is thinking about a trials bike but hasn't had the chance to ride one, shoot me a message. I'm in North East, MD and would be happy to let you take mine for a spin. The first hit is free! :)

This post has been edited by CraigFaison: 19 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

#13 User is offline   Chuck Marler 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Green Marble Enduro Riders
  • Interests:scrabble, music, enduros, and raising my kids

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

He's right, pick an event and go. Our local R&T club put on a two day trials April 17th in Maryland
I posted a few pictures from our check in the photo gallery section of the club website.

http://www.randtclub...=2&GalleryId=44

Steve posted some at http://boitanophotog...e/YLFdsnU2ut2uY

#14 User is offline   John Ennis 

• Group: Delaware Enduro Riders

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

View PostChuck Marler, on 30 April 2011 - 09:59 PM, said:

He's right, pick an event and go. Our local R&T club put on a two day trials April 17th in Maryland
I posted a few pictures from our check in the photo gallery section of the club website.

http://www.randtclub...=2&GalleryId=44

Steve posted some at http://boitanophotog...e/YLFdsnU2ut2uY

Yo Chuck, we were just bad-mouthing you the other day. Where you been bro?

#15 User is offline   Rob Magara 

• Group: Motorcycle Competition Inc.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

Here are some Trials playlist I put together

Trials Training
http://www.youtube.c...8329A9D31B90011

Trials
http://www.youtube.c...E2086467ABD715F

Trials Training (Bicycle)
http://www.youtube.c...026B378CF7154E2