East Coast Enduro Association: 2012 KTM 500 XCW EFI - East Coast Enduro Association

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2012 KTM 500 XCW EFI Tech Question

#1 User is offline   TomR 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hello ECEA,
I am hoping to race this year. I have put 9 hours on my 500 xcw and I absolutely love it. I went from a old YZ250 tank to this machine and its absolutely great. Fortunately I have some friends with plenty of KTMs to have a fair choice at the dealership. Question for the EFI. Will the Stock EFI Map automatically correct the A/F Ratio? Meaning if I were to change the air filter to the Twin Air Power Flow kit would it compensate and add more fuel? Or just run leaner? I am not aware of what these EFI systems are capable of.. I know its a lot though. I'd appreciate any knowledge from anyone. Thanks!

Product : http://www.ktmworld....erflow-kit.aspx

Thanks a bunch guys!
Tom

#2 User is offline   LOU GREEN 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ocean County Competition Riders

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

The short answer is yes. I rode my 2011 250XCF (which is FI) from zero feet in NJ to 8000 feet in Colorado with no changes. The ECU made adjustments automatically. My sons 200 smoker on the other hand needed some major jetting changes to run at high altitudes. That doesn't leave out tinkering. Us dirt bikers always want more and you can do the same with FI. The JD tuner or other products give you many choices to tinker. I rode the 500 and its a super machine, good luck with it.

#3 User is offline   TomR 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostLOU GREEN, on 24 February 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

The short answer is yes. I rode my 2011 250XCF (which is FI) from zero feet in NJ to 8000 feet in Colorado with no changes. The ECU made adjustments automatically. My sons 200 smoker on the other hand needed some major jetting changes to run at high altitudes. That doesn't leave out tinkering. Us dirt bikers always want more and you can do the same with FI. The JD tuner or other products give you many choices to tinker. I rode the 500 and its a super machine, good luck with it.

I've heard about the JD tuner but I'm trying to keep it stock. Thanks for the info! The 500 has plenty and I haven't found a place to give it 100% anywhere in the trails. I was hoping to hear from a mech. I heard the ecu is locked? I would like to make it just a bit richer.
Thanks again.

#4 User is offline   TomR 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Come on guys?! Anybody have any major knowledge on these newer bikes? I appreciate anything you throw my way!
Thanks

#5 User is offline   Devin Kellar 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"
  • Group: Ridge Riders M.C.
  • Interests:Mountain goat single track.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

The wrenches at Ktmtalk.com will have WAY more info. on such a specific question than a regional enduro forum.
That being said, I don't think that a screen-less filter cage alone will flow so much more air as to throw off the EFI. Did you check with TwinAir's tech support?

#6 User is offline   TomR 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostDevin Kellar, on 25 February 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

The wrenches at Ktmtalk.com will have WAY more info. on such a specific question than a regional enduro forum.
That being said, I don't think that a screen-less filter cage alone will flow so much more air as to throw off the EFI. Did you check with TwinAir's tech support?

No I have not. I tried to set up an account at ktmtalk but since i have a "free" email provider i have to go through some approval process. I figured that minor things wouldn't be enough to throw off the EFI. Ive been reading that the bikes come running lean for the "green sticker" approach so I was hoping to richen it up a bit. I guess I will be asking my dealer for favors... and they are not the friendliest people around. Thanks guys.

#7 User is offline   timothy souder 

• Tight Trail? Bring it on!
  • Group: South Jersey Enduro Riders

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

The 500 xc-w is an awesome choice. I have 52 hours and approx. 950 miles on the Ico, and almost all single track.
Lean hesitations, hard corner stalls and WOT Stalls over whoops were common in the beginning. Buy a spare injector (or 2) . Mine is now on the 3rd injector. Will start cutting out at high ripm's under heavy accel, and that is your clue to change the injector. Injectors were originally 250, now less than $80........ Hmmmmm. I had more filters than Hastings had and it still wore out.
I swapped the muffler to a lighter FMF unit, added the JD tuner (the single best investment you can make on this machine) and also the easiest way to "keep it stock" as the unit plugs into the injector lead and battery. That's it. Gearing I run is 13/50. No need to spend the money on an ecu, wasted money. JD finj unit made amazing difference & almost eliminated flame outs into the corners. I change the oil / filter every 5 hours, never burns any and comes out every time with no metal fragments.
I highly suggest the in-tank filter socks, and NOT adding the after market in-line filter as other websites suggest. Your bike may need the upgrade to the gray inline filter, check with your dealer.
Enjoy it - you won't believe it is a 500.

#8 User is offline   TomR 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

View Posttimothy souder, on 25 February 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

The 500 xc-w is an awesome choice. I have 52 hours and approx. 950 miles on the Ico, and almost all single track.
Lean hesitations, hard corner stalls and WOT Stalls over whoops were common in the beginning. Buy a spare injector (or 2) . Mine is now on the 3rd injector. Will start cutting out at high ripm's under heavy accel, and that is your clue to change the injector. Injectors were originally 250, now less than $80........ Hmmmmm. I had more filters than Hastings had and it still wore out.
I swapped the muffler to a lighter FMF unit, added the JD tuner (the single best investment you can make on this machine) and also the easiest way to "keep it stock" as the unit plugs into the injector lead and battery. That's it. Gearing I run is 13/50. No need to spend the money on an ecu, wasted money. JD finj unit made amazing difference & almost eliminated flame outs into the corners. I change the oil / filter every 5 hours, never burns any and comes out every time with no metal fragments.
I highly suggest the in-tank filter socks, and NOT adding the after market in-line filter as other websites suggest. Your bike may need the upgrade to the gray inline filter, check with your dealer.

Awesome man! I just bought one of those filters... I will definitely stock an extra injector and be investing in the JD tuner. I already have my bike ready to go to the dealer for that recall about the 10 micron filter. They swap it out with the 20 micron. Thank again guys for all the info. Do you need any special mapping or tuning with the JD tuner? or is it plug and play?

#9 User is offline   timothy souder 

• Tight Trail? Bring it on!
  • Group: South Jersey Enduro Riders

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

TomR said:

1330224428[/url]' post='112498']
Awesome man! I just bought one of those filters... I will definitely stock an extra injector and be investing in the JD tuner. I already have my bike ready to go to the dealer for that recall about the 10 micron filter. They swap it out with the 20 micron. Thank again guys for all the info. Do you need any special mapping or tuning with the JD tuner? or is it plug and play?

plug and play.

#10 User is offline   Joe Sgroi 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

View Posttimothy souder, on 25 February 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

I was at a KTM dealer this past weekend, I am having a tough time deciding between the 350 EXC-F and 500 EXC.

What do you mean you won't believe its a 500? It feels more powerful than a 500?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users