East Coast Enduro Association: KTM 250 XC-w vs 250 XCF-W - East Coast Enduro Association

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KTM 250 XC-w vs 250 XCF-W trying to decide

#1 User is offline   Jack Cutts 

• Board Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hi all,
I am trying to decide whether to look after a 250 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Ive been riding my 96 xr 250 and am in for an upgrade soon.
i like 4 strokes but rode a 250 XC-w over the weekend and iced it too. I would be looking for the 08 style models, but I'v heard from some that the 4 strokes aren't really that good, (2 stroke riders)
but can get some pros and cons from owners of both please? If you've ridden both thad help a lot!
thanks guys!

This post has been edited by Jack Cutts: 29 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

#2 User is offline   Frank Weaver 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Delaware Enduro Riders

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have an '08 250 XC-F (280 kit) and an '08 RM250. If I could only have one, it would be the RM. When the RM is kaput, I will stay 2 stroke, likely XC-W. Less weight, more power with the 2-stroke. I don't like riding a 450 in our woods, I'm not that fast and they are heavy. And I'm old.

I do like revving the 250F, it makes me feel like I'm going fast.

#3 User is offline   Scott Lavance 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"
  • Group: South Jersey Enduro Riders
  • Interests:family, motorcycles, bicycles, snowboards, and my dog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

I can't call myself a 2 or 4 stroke rider, I just like riding dirt bikes. I've been back and forth from 2 to 4 stroke for the past few bikes and am currently very very very happy with my KTM 250SX-f 4 stroke. It's got linkage, fuel injection, and 2 more strokes than my last bike which was a KTM 200XC-w. I ride with a AA fast guy and am able to keep him in sight much longer than before and he even mentioned that I was riding better on the new bike. Weight, power, and cost to maintain are the three big things between 2 and 4 stroke and after riding the KTM 250f I couldn't care about any of it. The 4 stroke is where it's at for me, currently.

#4 User is offline   Dale Sonnenschein 

• Board VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

THis is a question that will probably make you more mixed up than clear about what you want to ride. It's really personal preference.I rode a four stroke about 6 years ago,a 400 suzuki, great power but too heavy for me. The newer bikes are probably a little lighter now. You can't really compare a 250F to a 250 2 stroke. And 450's are a handful from what I hear. I rode a honda 250F and it really didn't have the power I wanted. My last 3 bikes have been a 250exc, then a 300xcw and now a 250xc. All 2 strokes. They are lighter, less maintanance, easy to start if you go down(and thats a big plus). I see way too many guys kicking and kicking and kicking 4 strokes after a fall or a stall. Go with your gut and have a blast!! But in my book, 2 strokes rule!!

#5 User is offline   Jack Cutts 

• Board Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have to say, i was a 4 stroke supporter and a 2 stroke non, just because i grew up on the 4 strokes, but when i rode that 250XC over the weekend it was fun, but different.
There was a lot more clutch and a lot less engine braking. I will definitely have to ride a 250F to compare.
Like you said, i like to rev the 4 stroke too.
thanks guys!

#6 User is offline   Matt Ryder 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ECEA Member
  • Interests:Trail Riding

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostJack Cutts, on 29 February 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hi all,
I am trying to decide whether to look after a 250 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Ive been riding my 96 xr 250 and am in for an upgrade soon.
i like 4 strokes but rode a 250 XC-w over the weekend and iced it too. I would be looking for the 08 style models, but I'v heard from some that the 4 strokes aren't really that good, (2 stroke riders)
but can get some pros and cons from owners of both please? If you've ridden both thad help a lot!
thanks guys!

Going from your XR 250 to a KTM 250 XCFW would probably be the easiest transition. The KTM 250 XCFW will be like a lighter XR250 that is on steroids and just drank 3 Monster Energy Drinks, plus the KTM will have electric start (don't buy a 4-stroke without that magic button). It'll be like dumping that chubby chick with the glasses and braces, for a super model.

If you are an "A" level rider and the conditions are tight, you will probably be faster on a 2-stroke. But you are a "C" level rider, you will probably have more fun on on the KTM 250 Thumper. 450 Thumpers tend to wear mortals out quickly.

#7 User is offline   Jack Cutts 

• Board Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostMatt Ryder, on 28 March 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

View PostJack Cutts, on 29 February 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hi all,
thanks guys!

Going from your XR 250 to a KTM 250 XCFW would probably be the easiest transition. The KTM 250 XCFW will be like a lighter XR250 that is on steroids and just drank 3 Monster Energy Drinks, plus the KTM will have electric start (don't buy a 4-stroke without that magic button). It'll be like dumping that chubby chick with the glasses and braces, for a super model.

If you are an "A" level rider and the conditions are tight, you will probably be faster on a 2-stroke. But you are a "C" level rider, you will probably have more fun on on the KTM 250 Thumper. 450 Thumpers tend to wear mortals out quickly.

I am slightly fended that you called my XR a chubby chick with glasses and braces, she is very self conscious, and trying to loose weight. just kidding, but thank you all, i think i am definitely going for the 4 stroke, and now am actually considering the 350, but there are more 250s than 350s out there.
my brother just bought an 09' 250 XC and i rode it at my clubs enduro, Curly fern, and really didn't like it. It also seems that i am faster in the tight stuff on a 4 stroke.
thanks guys!
-JACK

#8 User is offline   Frank Weaver 

• Group: Delaware Enduro Riders

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostJack Cutts, on 29 March 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

I am slightly fended that you called my XR a chubby chick with glasses and braces, she is very self conscious, and trying to loose weight. just kidding, but thank you all, i think i am definitely going for the 4 stroke, and now am actually considering the 350, but there are more 250s than 350s out there.
my brother just bought an 09' 250 XC and i rode it at my clubs enduro, Curly fern, and really didn't like it. It also seems that i am faster in the tight stuff on a 4 stroke.
thanks guys!
-JACK

Jack:

If the XC suspension wasn't revalved, you were basically riding a motocross bike, which wouldn't be too much fun in the woods.

#9 User is offline   Matt Ryder 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ECEA Member
  • Interests:Trail Riding

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

... she is very self conscious, and trying to loose weight...

I know, I used to date her (XR400) too and her older sister (DR350).

The XCW's are lot more forgiving and very plush ... last year I almost bought one, but couldn't give up on a 4-stroke. Plus there is a couple of nice ones for sale in the ECEA Classified Section of this forum. Good luck finding the best bike for YOU.

#10 User is offline   Kenneth Held 

• ECEA Executive Board - Vice President
  • Group: Ocean County Competition Riders
  • Interests:ECEA Vice President
    HARE SCRAMBLES COMMITTEE

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

From what I saw at a recent HS race, the four stroke riders were exhausted during the last lap of a 2.5 hour race. They were all drained and sitting on the seat letting the bike ride them. Most were A and B level riders. The breakdown was about 50/50 4 stk 2 stk. The 2 Stroke riders were still standing up strong and looking like they were still haveing FUN. Hope this helps.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google