• You cannot reply to this topic

Front Tires Geomax

#1 User is offline   mike walters 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sociology

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

I'm currently running the Dunlop Geomax 51 in the rear, and a Pirelli XCMS Scorpion in the front. Very happy with the performance of both, but the initial cost and rapid wear on the Pirelli is a disappointment. I've heard mixed reviews (not all good) about running the GEOMAX 51 in the front. A Dunlop rep suggested I run the GEOMAX 31 in the front. Any comments? Does anyone know what Mike L. is running? I'd also like any recommendations for Kenda.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 User is offline   jim hanlon 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

the millville rear is great and m59 front

#3 User is offline   mike peruki 

• Group: Brandywine Enduro Riders

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

View Postmike walters, on 01 March 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

I'm currently running the Dunlop Geomax 51 in the rear, and a Pirelli XCMS Scorpion in the front. Very happy with the performance of both, but the initial cost and rapid wear on the Pirelli is a disappointment. I've heard mixed reviews (not all good) about running the GEOMAX 51 in the front. A Dunlop rep suggested I run the GEOMAX 31 in the front. Any comments? Does anyone know what Mike L. is running? I'd also like any recommendations for Kenda.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm in the same boat on the rear tire - really liking the geomax 51. Front in intermediate - rocks I use the Bridgestone M403. Its inexpensive, grippy and good lasting tire for me. Front in sand I switch to Maxxis MaxxCross Sand and Mud. The knobs on that thing are nuts, and its used for sand, so is still showing minimal wear. I only used Kenda Millville for the front and it was ok. Those tall, unreinforced knobs felt like they swayed, but could have been my imagination because I'm not that fast.

- Mike

#4 User is offline   Mike McHale 

• Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

Run the Geomax 31 in the sand (tracks/bites much deeper than the 51). Geomax 51 for intermediate/rocks.

#5 User is offline   Ted Marriner 

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Kenda has a new Millville 2 they have just released. Really nice looking tire. Saw at the Indy Dealer Show. Haven't been able to order them yet though. Pirelli just released their new MX Extra X tire that is supposed to last longer and is the tire that Bubba used to win the SX. Received some of them and they look nice.

#6 User is offline   Wayne C Grenewicz li 

• Group: Ridge Riders M.C.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

mx 31 best front tire awesome steering, wears great 5-6 hs and then rapid side knob loss. really like the wear on the rear mx 31 not totally sure if i like the cornering but striaght line accel is really good last 5-6 hs also. mx 51 rear handles and hooks up much better but 2-3 rides in the rocks and its punished. sometimes one h/s and only good for play rides after. i dont like 51 front but see it on alot of the pros. been runnin mx31 sets for 2 yrs they work very well for me rocks or mud. ran an old mitas c-14 rear( sitting in the garage for years with maybe one race on it) at tri-co and couldn't believe how nice it was & still looks new

#7 User is offline   mike walters 

• Interests:Sociology

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thanks Wayne.

#8 User is offline   CARL REHATCHEK 

• Group: Central Jersey Competition Rider
  • Interests:Trial riding and enduros..The rougher the better..
    Watching old people get older

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Mike both the Pirelli pro and the Bridgestone M59 fronts are dual compound tires.. awesome for traction everywhere and conditions... soft on the outside harder after the initial wear.. then the chuncking begins..

#9 User is offline   SCOTT SIEGMEISTER 

• Interests:MOTORCYCLES,SKIING,FISHING AND GUNS

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

I tried a Bridgestone 403 front in a 90 from a recommendation from Ken Long; I really like it in the rocks, hard pack, mud and loamy dirt! I also tried it in Upstate New York in the Tug Hill area it was a loamy sandy mix, worked great!

The 90 over the 80 is noticeable to me, more suspension and foot print on the ground. It wears really well also.

#10 User is online   Frank Weaver 

• Group: Delaware Enduro Riders

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostWayne C Grenewicz li, on 07 March 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

mx 31 best front tire awesome steering, wears great 5-6 hs and then rapid side knob loss. really like the wear on the rear mx 31 not totally sure if i like the cornering but striaght line accel is really good last 5-6 hs also. mx 51 rear handles and hooks up much better but 2-3 rides in the rocks and its punished. sometimes one h/s and only good for play rides after. i dont like 51 front but see it on alot of the pros. been runnin mx31 sets for 2 yrs they work very well for me rocks or mud. ran an old mitas c-14 rear( sitting in the garage for years with maybe one race on it) at tri-co and couldn't believe how nice it was & still looks new

Ditto on the MX 31 for steering, but a few rides in rocks and knobs were tearing off at the carcass, not just shredding on top. I am trying an M59 front. MX 31 rear traction also excellent and also pleased with MX 51 rear in sand with 4-T. I've been Michelin S-12 rear, M-12 front man for years but Geeomax's on the RM250 I bought may convert me. The S-12 needs scary low pressure (9.0 9.5 psi)in the tube to work best, its sidewall is stiff and designed to work with a mousse. Run 13 psi and it's like you have a Whamo Super Ball back there :(

I also think Bryan's comments on Kenda's are valid. Too many people are successful on them to be him only.

So, does anybody think certain tires work better on 4 strokes vs 2 strokes and vice versa?

#11 User is offline   Ben Smith 

• Board VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:anything with wheels, and snowboarding

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

You should check out the Mitas Tires like Wayne said. I have used the Pirelli's and the Kenda's and the Mitas tires offer much better grip and they wear really well.

For the sand races I would use the C-12 rear and C-15 front. For having such an open tread pattern they really handle the roots extremely well.

For most other races I would use the C-19 front- similar to one of the pirelli tread patterns.

The C-17 front is great for rock runs or dry races

The C-18 rear is great from Delaware to speedsville and the other not so rocky races

The C-16 is great for all the others.

Also if you are looking for tubes they have one of the best tubes on the market, similar to the bridgestone ultra heavy duty, but it doesn't look like it is going to fall apart after a few rides.

They have great pricing and also FREE SHIPPING!

check them out at www.Mitasmx.com

And they work great on both 2 and 4 stroke bikes.

#12 User is offline   Chodnicki, Joe 

• Board Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Mitas site is not working for me.....always goes back to same screen no matter what you chose....prices? other info?

#13 User is offline   Will Rosenberry 

• VIP Member
  • Group: Brandywine Enduro Riders

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostChodnicki, Joe, on 08 March 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Mitas site is not working for me.....always goes back to same screen no matter what you chose....prices? other info?

Mitas USA site has been broke for a couple weeks now. We been beating up Mitas USA about why they don't offer the E07.
You can buy Mitas from Canada with no problems if you want to afford the shipping. The e07 in 150/70/17 shipped to PA is like $55.00 shipping.
Mitas canada

Mitas EU says the USA distributor is getting fixed or changed or something, and they say it will get better.
Up to this point all Mitas USA wanted to sell was tractor tires.

Mitas USA had some deals on Trelleborg tires also, but after the website broke it only shows the 17" ones.

#14 User is offline   Ben Smith 

• Board VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:anything with wheels, and snowboarding

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

Mitas is in the process of moving their facility to from North Carolina to Iowa where they will be able to have a better stock of tires on hand. Mitas has always wanted to sell motorcycle tires but they haven't had the dealer network. I will contact Mitas about their web site and see if they can get it fixed.

#15 User is offline   Brent Bush 

• Pip
  • Group: ECEA Member

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Emailed the NC distributor this week . He said they will be back up and running in 3 MONTHS !!! Anyone know a way to get them in US ?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users