East Coast Enduro Association: Delaware State Enduro 2012 Format Change ! - East Coast Enduro Association

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Delaware State Enduro 2012 Format Change !

#31 User is offline   Ken - Long 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostJohn Castaldi, on 15 March 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Online entry for Delaware is OPEN!!!! Come on guys, you know this is going to be a great time

Is there a paper verrsion I can send in snail mail - my paypal is tagged to my business

#32 User is offline   John Castaldi 

• Administrator
  • Group: Admin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostKen - Long, on 16 March 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Online entry for Delaware is OPEN!!!! Come on guys, you know this is going to be a great time

Is there a paper verrsion I can send in snail mail - my paypal is tagged to my business

I don't use paypal, Visa, MC, AMEX or discover.

You can probably find the paper copy on www.delawareenduroriders.com

#33 User is offline   Ken - Long 

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostJohn Castaldi, on 16 March 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

View PostKen - Long, on 16 March 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

I don't use paypal, Visa, MC, AMEX or discover.

You can probably find the paper copy on www.delawareenduroriders.com

thanks - all entered

#34 User is offline   Dave Nash 

• Group: Motorcycle Competition Inc.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Deleware is THE BEST enduro of the year because of all the different types of terrain! Loamy Woods, Sand, Rocks, High Speed, Technical, Hard Pack, Pine Forests, Driving over a bridge with kids pressed up against the glass of their parents minivan looking at you like you're Villopoto, yeah it's got it ALL...

Go ride this event! If you don't like it, sell your bike.

#35 User is offline   John Castaldi 

• Administrator

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostDave Nash, on 16 March 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Deleware is THE BEST enduro of the year because of all the different types of terrain! Loamy Woods, Sand, Rocks, High Speed, Technical, Hard Pack, Pine Forests, Driving over a bridge with kids pressed up against the glass of their parents minivan looking at you like you're Villopoto, yeah it's got it ALL...

Go ride this event! If you don't like it, sell your bike.

I too will be there. Now the BIG question for Delaware? Up, Down, or Around?

#36 User is offline   Kevin Novello 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

While I prefer the start/restart format over timekeeping, I dont know of anyone that is completely convinced that this format alone is the solution to increased enduro attendance here in the northeast (I hope that it is!) Regardless, I applaude DER for experimenting with change.
Sending in my entry today.
See you there!
Kevin

#37 User is offline   justin gibble 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

View Postchris bohnyak jr, on 16 March 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

have the race however you want. time keeping.. national format.. as long as its a closed course they will come..

Delete my last post???

agree on the closed course

This post has been edited by justin gibble: 18 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

#38 User is offline   Mike Sigety 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Delaware is one of the few events that i REALLY look forward to for months! I have a motorcross guy signed up to go! He is use to woods, but never did an enduro. My minute is now full with 4 people, will u be runing 5 per minute? If so, i can bring one more virgin :D

#39 User is offline   john scoleri 

• Board VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

What would my entry key be for online registration ? Thanks john

#40 User is offline   John Castaldi 

• Administrator

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

You set your own key in your rider profile (that prevents others from registering you without you knowing).

If you can't get in, let me know your AMA number and I'll look it up.

View Postjohn scoleri, on 18 March 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

What would my entry key be for online registration ? Thanks john

#41 User is offline   Mike Blair 

• Group: Ocean County Competition Riders

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostJeff Fitzpatrick, on 16 March 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

We are all family here...even if it's not exactly what we want or like we should support one another if and when possible.

;) :D ;)

#42 User is offline   peter quigley 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bikes, Photos, Living

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Congrats on DER for looking at new ways to make your Enduro work.

Here are some factors that may influence a decline in Enduro attendance.

- The Economy.

- The increasing average age of Enduro riders means more riders avoid extremely physically tough events.

- Lack of fast young aggressive hare scrambles riders entering enduros

- Licensing of off road capable bikes

- A new generation who didn't grow up on all sorts of motorcycles like the 70's and early 80's.

Our club's Moonshine Enduro has gained quite a few entries over the last few years because Jamie is trying to give riders the enduro they're looking for. The right amount of challenge for C and B riders and then a tougher course for the A riders. And it is a Timekeeping run!

I quit going to Delaware not because there weren't enough young fast riders who have something to prove, the economy or the timekeeping. I quite going mostly because the course and pace kicked my butt and I wasn't right again til Thursday.

I don't like the attitude of let's see who the best man is and so on. I am sure that is irrelevant to the majority of enduro riders and hare scrambles riders who are there to ride their own ride have their own goals. I don't like being roosted by amped up young guys at a hare scrambles and I don't want it to happen at my sport, enduro. I already find start control enduros to be less fun, and if the culture at those enduros shifts too much I just won't go.

This is a different culture, Enduro. It is very attractive to a lot of riders, younger and older. It takes more prep and thought to run an Enduro. It has a steeper learning curve. Once a rider has become a competitive B rider, they know they have achieved something.

It is a big mistake to make Enduros more accessible doesn't mean diluting them into another culture.

I see new guys and gals coming into Enduro riding who love the technical riding, the timekeeping, the pace and the right mix of competition and sportsmanship. We still have the right stuff. It is a mistake thinking Enduro riding should be something other than what it is.

We saw big numbers at Sandy Lane and Moonshine. Both events were timekeeping and had the right mix of challenge/fun. That's the way to go. Clubs are also finding ways to help get the bikes enduro qualified.

I love timekeeping and think check in, check out format is the way to go today, with maybe 1 or two hot checks. We should be reasonable.

The economy will do what it does. In the 70's people had a lot less disposable income and rode older less reliable bikes and slept in ratty old vans. They showed up at enduros in huge numbers.
If we find ways to get guys on bikes that are able to be run at enduros and keep the fun factor high, new riders will halt the aging demographic.

Finally, let's just say. Enduros are the number one motorsport in terms of riding time, fun, friendliness and bang for the buck. Let's own that. What are we apologizing for?

I hope Delaware finds a way to stick with their timekeeping tradition and gets the numbers back up. You have good ground and a good club.

Good luck with your changes. I'll try to get to the Delaware Enduro this year.

This post has been edited by peter quigley: 19 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

#43 User is offline   john scoleri 

• Board VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

Thanks John ! All registered up!,,

#44 User is offline   John Castaldi 

• Administrator

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

I hear that the DER Trailboss found another entrance to the Sluice.....

http://www.youtube.c...HKPcHHVco#t=35s

Only teasing people. Delaware is trying the new format, Time to give it a try!!!

#45 User is offline   Bob Bennett 

• Pip
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Mtn Bikes

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Delaware without timekeeping? If you want my vote, I like the Delaware Enduros that challenged riders both mentally and physically. Runs like Delaware made you a better enduro rider because you had to prepare by understanding the rules and their application on the course. Part of the “Delaware Experience” was studying the route sheet the night before to figure out where the tough section might be and where you needed to exercise caution to prevent burning check(s).

As long as I can remember, DER has always been a first rate club that put on events that would draw people from all over the country. Time keeping or not, I’m sure this will be a first class event that will leave everyone smiling and talking for months.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users