East Coast Enduro Association: Looking to glue / re-tread / Vulcanize a Mnt bike tire to a Mini/pee wee tire - East Coast Enduro Association

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking to glue / re-tread / Vulcanize a Mnt bike tire to a Mini/pee wee tire They dont make a knobby for the Oset Electric bike doesnt work in sand

#1 User is offline   Mike Sigety 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

I know I am always doing crazy Frankenstein projects and i expect a good ribbing here, but for my kid, ill take the beating.

My kid is LOVING his OSET electric bike! (half the weight of a gas bike, more torque, several inches lower in seat height then a PW). I had to customize a few things to make it off road worthy and one thing that i seem to have hit a dead end on is getting a good knobby tire. The stock tires are trials tires, which is OK for the back, but the front end keeps washing out. I have contacted several manufacturers and distributors and have struck out so now i was thinking of making my own knobby by vulcanizing an aggressive down hill mountain bike tire to the outside of his oem tire. Dont be fooled by the marking on the tire, the 12 is the OD not the ID. Any suggestions on how to make this work? I assume i would have to burn down the trails tire until it is nice and smooth, maybe stitch a mnt bike tire together (with kevlar thread)make it nice and tight so it has to be pried onto the OD of the trials tire... then find the secrete sauce to vulcanize it??

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 4 at the Top Of The Hill.jpg
  • Attached Image: Oset Tire Closeup.jpg

#2 User is offline   John Castaldi 

• Administrator
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

try this
http://www.razorama....mx350-tire.html

#3 User is offline   Frank Weaver 

• Group: Delaware Enduro Riders

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Or maybe this
Other size tire

Real vulcanizing requires an autoclave.

#4 User is offline   Ed Fetzer 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ithaca Dirt Riders

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Mike

My Bro In law owns a re-treading operation. Ill call him and see if he has any ideas. Ill be at Curley fern.

Ed

#5 User is offline   Mike Sigety 

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Thanks John and Frank, but that is the tire that he already has...FYI, the razor is another popular mini bike, but its a POS, compared to the OSET. A kid came over one day with one, it broke falling over in the van on the way over.

Ed, that would be great if u can look into this, i would suspect the forces on a front tire (where it needs it most) would be significantly less than the rear, but i would do both if it worked out. I can send the tires up or buy supplies if he is willing to send it. Call or text anytime. Race next weekend (after Curly Burn)

#6 User is offline   ButchCampion 

• Board Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Could you possibly use a tire groover to turn the trial tire into a knobby by removing mateiral around each knob or eliminating knobs in a staggered pattern?
Just a thought as we used to get the tires for my dirt late model with no grooves and make our own.

#7 User is offline   wallace tunison 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Mike,
The international size (64-203) is the real number you need to pay attention to. In this case the size,as you have discovered,is a 12" bicycle size that is common on most kid's bikes. The tire on your son's bike 12"x 2.4 happens to be the most aggressive tire we have seen on these type of bikes and the US Bicycle Industry generally does not carry anything more aggressive.
I would try an International BMX supplier in Europe.
Wally

This post has been edited by wallace tunison: 30 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

#8 User is offline   Mike Sigety 

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Butch, and its tempting, but the tire is already as thin as a bicycle tire, though i know it is really hard to see on the pic because when u enlarge it it actually looks like it has a knob.

Wally, thanks for the lead on where to go...i will check it out

Thanks Ed Fetzer for all your help...

#9 User is offline   CraigFaison 

• Board Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Mike,

What tire pressure are you running in the front? I know that the Oset specifies high tire pressure. Have you given any thought to adding a rim lock(s) to allow you to run lower pressure? That might help some while you're refining the tire design process...

#10 User is offline   Mike Sigety 

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Craig, i have been running the pressure so low that i feel like i can bottom out the tire with my hand!! and it has stayed on the rim so far....if u need to know the pressure i can check for u...The rear traction on dry hills and rocks is pretty good, its mostly an issue on the front end....it keeps washing out...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users