• You cannot reply to this topic

ICO vs. watchdog age old question?

#1 User is offline   Alexander J Conforti  

• Board Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Enduro, MX, MTB, Travel

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

hey, looking to finally lay out the dough for a good enduro computer. price wise they are basically the same so do i go with the ICO checkmate or the Dugas Watchdog?

durability? ease of use? looking to make an attempt to figure out this time keeping thing the easy way.

#2 User is offline   Scott Lavance 

• "Has too much time at work to surf the Internet"
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: South Jersey Enduro Riders
  • Interests:family, motorcycles, bicycles, snowboards, and my dog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Big thumbs up for the ICO from most enduro guys. At any given run there will be 2-5 Watchdogs and 200+ ICOs.

#3 User is offline   Alexander J Conforti  

• Board Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

jeez, that makes it an easy decision. suppose i will order one. hope it comes, gets installed, and figured out by greenbriar! :)

#4 User is offline   dan sharpless 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ECEA Member

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

I had the watchdog for 1 race and took it off.I think the ICO is the easiest and most reliable.

#5 User is offline   CARL REHATCHEK 

• Group: Central Jersey Competition Rider
  • Interests:Trial riding and enduros..The rougher the better..
    Watching old people get older

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have been a dog user since 2000

0 problems and have never been back for updating and very easy to program.. if you are a laste minute person and always runing late and never have time to program then the ico red is the best way to go as you have the infra red zapping feature.

I personally love to program my own computer as it gives you the best understanding of where the speeds and resets are gas and other important info..

Good luck with your choice..

#6 User is offline   Brad Rawlins 

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

+1 for ico

#7 User is offline   Devin Kellar 

• Group: Ridge Riders M.C.
  • Interests:Mountain goat single track.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Kinda like asking Ford vs. Chevy, Droid vs. iphone, or timekeeping vs. start controls :o .

My 2cents...

Watchdog pros: bulletproof, larger easier to see numbers on display, battery lasts forever, takes up less real estate on bars. Cons: to see everything (keytime, early/late status, next possible, adjust your mileage) you have to toggle between two screens which gets very annoying. Also, no beaming a program from a friend but I like entering it myself anyway.

ICO pros: See all your variables at all times, auto tire size calibration (not sure how useful this really is though), and you can beam the program from another ICO if you're running late. Cons: smaller display numbers/bigger unit size, vulnerable thumb switch, battery requires more frequent replacment and isn't cheap to do(see other current post here on this issue).

Hope this helps. Feel free to correct any errors in the above info.

#8 User is offline   Robert Kasper 

• Board VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Just about anything fast

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Watchdog = Works and is also available. You can also program the keytime at any point before the start and ride up a not worry about anything. There is also a way to change the way the display switches with the main button in the setup. Havent messed with it yet to see though.

Ico = unavailble for purchase unless used or has something changed in the last week.

This post has been edited by Robert Kasper: 05 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

#9 User is offline   Ted Marriner 

• Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I've used a WatchDog2K since about 2000 and have beaten the thing to death. It just works. It's pretty easy for me to understand. If it's flashing, I'm hot, if it's not, I'm late. Of course, I don't get to see it flash much!!! Plus Dave has always been awesome. Went to a run down south with some screwy route sheet entries. Called Dave on the phone on a Saturday and he walked me through the entries. Worked great!!!

#10 User is offline   Ken - Long 

• Group: ECEA - Club Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostRobert Kasper, on 05 April 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

Watchdog = Works and is also available. You can also program the keytime at any point before the start and ride up a not worry about anything. There is also a way to change the way the display switches with the main button in the setup. Havent messed with it yet to see though.

Ico = unavailble for purchase unless used or has something changed in the last week.

??? - they are no loger in business??????

#11 User is offline   Robert Kasper 

• Board VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Just about anything fast

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Ken maybe not out of business but they havent been avaiable for a long time now. I also just recently sent them and email with a few questions. It is included below. I do own a checkmate (red) and it was mounted on my 200. I switched to the 300 for this year and after talking to some people that like the watchdog I decided to give it a try. If the ico would have allowed me to run the stock ktm pickup with both the stock dash and the computer I would have. But since niether will work like that according to either manufacturer I decided to go with the watchdog and give it a try. It is also supposed to keep a total mileage. I know someone that was trying to buy a new ico and there were none available a week or so ago still. Will be interesting to see what happens to the price when and if they become available. A shame because it is such a well respected and widely used unit!!! Its like most things though, a matter of getting used to something new.

Here is the email

ICO Repair Department repairdepartment@icoracing.com

Jan 30

to me

Hello, Mr. Kasper

Unfortunately, our Checkmate production has been delayed yet again while the primary assembly is taking place, and we are now looking at a production date near the end of February.

I have heard of guys splicing into the KTM sensor to simultaneously service our instrument and theirs; however, you will not be able to run both instruments at the same time. We recommend against this course of action since it requires both our sensor and theirs to be disassembled, causing waterproofing problems and excess wear.

Are you referring to a thumbswitch with the new "clicking" buttons? Yes, we can replace the rubber "cap". We can send you one to do it yourself, or we can replace it here if the thumbswitch is in the shop.

Over the last couple of years we were forced to revise our instruments for international races, and thus stopped the preliminary work on a new American enduro unit. I cannot tell you when, or even if this new instrument will come to production.

Thank You

Ben Horarik

ICO Racing

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 28, 2012 7:19:08 AM MST

To: ICO Repair Department Department <repairdepartment@icoracing.com>

Subject: Fwd: ?'s

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 27, 2012 11:21:47 PM MST

To: techquestions@icoracing.com

Subject: ?'s

Are the checkmates avaiable? 09 ktm can I use the one pickup on the bike already and run the checkmate and also the OEM speedo by splicing the wires? I have one of the newer style button assemblies and the one rubber ripped off. Can it be fixed? At one time a while back I was told you were working on a new version of your computer. When do you think it will be avaiable?

Thank you

Bob Kasper

OCCR/ECEA

609-851-2810

#12 User is offline   Alexander J Conforti  

• Board Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Ok, called Ico. They claim to be on back order for 2-3 weeks. Found a new complete watchdog on eBay. $200 shipped so I bought it. Works for me.

#13 User is offline   Jimmy King 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Southern Tier Enduro Riders

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

View PostAJxr, on 06 April 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

Ok, called Ico. They claim to be on back order for 2-3 weeks. Found a new complete watchdog on eBay. $200 shipped so I bought it. Works for me.

I don't think you will be dissapointed. I always strap a watch aroung the bars, and use it for keytime seconds. That way I do not have to switch screens, and I have all the info I need. Plus if the computer ever does fritz out, you need the keytime to reset it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users